International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences
Int. j. adv. appl. sci.
Print ISSN: 2313-626X
Volume 4, Issue 9 (September 2017), Pages: 35-45
Title: An analyzing case: Numbers of Taiwanese students and their expenditures by using grey system theory to forecast
Author(s): Hoang Xuan Phuc Trinh 1, *, Thanh-Tuyen Tran 2
1Management Department, Binh Duong Economics and Technology University, Binh Duong, Vietnam
2Scientific Research Office, Lac Hong University, No.10 Huynh Van Nghe, Bien Hoa, Dong Nai, Vietnam
Full Text - PDF XML
Taiwan is one of the Asian tigers with the education is directly linked to the quality of high-qualified human resources for supplying to the domestic labor market and the innovating industry. However, from the years 2010s, Taiwan higher education has been in emergency of dealing with the difficulty of demographic in the context of education increased desires in recent years. This study adapted data from Taiwanese Ministry of Education with the raising quantity of student from 1,326,029 (2007) to 1,346,221 (2014) together with the student’s expenditure is approximately at 200,000NTD/year. Grey system theory is applied in this study with the three models GM (1, 1), DGM (1, 1) and Verhulst which are then chosen the most appropriate one. GM (1, 1) forecasts the increasing in student’s expenditure about 36% to the future together with the downward in trends of student in the highest-percentage majors i.e. Social Sciences, Business and Law, Engineering, meanwhile, the impressive upward trends are in Humanities and Art, Service (from 10% to 15% up). In addition, the study also sees that the development scale of adult is becoming stable, the affordability of residents to adult higher education, the level of economic development and so forth. The research’s result could be an advantage reference to education managers for dealing with the issues from quantity.
© 2017 The Authors. Published by IASE.
This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Keywords: Taiwan education, Numbers of students, Discipline, Trending, Educational expenditure, Grey system theory, Forecasting
Article History: Received 3 June 2017, Received in revised form 27 July 2017, Accepted 27 July 2017
Digital Object Identifier:
Trinh HXP and Tran TT (2017). An analyzing case: Numbers of Taiwanese students and their expenditures by using grey system theory to forecast. International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 4(9): 35-45
- Bourguignon F, Ferreira FH, and Lustig N (2005). The microeconomics of income distribution dynamics in East Asia and Latin America. World Bank and Oxford University Press, Washington DC, USA.
- Cheng CC (2003). Forecasting the benefit of a university based on the grey model. Journal of Nanjing Institute of Technology: Natural Science Edition, 1(1): 59-66.
- Deng JL (1986). Grey prediction and grey decision. Press of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China. PMCid:PMC386954
- Deng JL (1989). Introduction to grey system theory. The Journal of Grey System, 1(1): 1–24.
- Huang JT, Kao AP, and Hung WC (2006).The influence of college tuition and fees on fertility rate in Taiwan. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 27(4): 626-642. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10834-006-9037-4
- Huang KY and Jane CJ (2009). A hybrid model for stock market forecasting and portfolio selection based on ARX, grey system and RS theories. Expert Systems with Applications, 36(3): 5387-5392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2008.06.103
- Kayacan E, Ulutas B, and Kaynak O (2010). Grey system theory-based models in time series prediction. Expert Systems with Applications, 37(2): 1784-1789. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.07.064
- Lin TC (2004). The role of higher education in economic development: An empirical study of Taiwan case. Journal of Asian Economics, 15(2): 355-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asieco.2004.02.006
- Lin Y and Liu S (2004). A historical introduction to grey systems theory. In the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, The Hague, Netherlands, 3: 2403-2408. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSMC.2004.1400689
- Liu S, Dang Y, Fang Z, and Xie NM (2004). Grey system theory and its application. Science Press, Beijing, China.
- MOE (2013). Education in Taiwan. Ministry of Education. Available online at: https://stats.moe.gov.tw/files/ebook/Education_in_Taiwan/2013-2014_Education_in_Taiwan.pdf
- Nguyen NT and Tran TT (2015). Mathematical development and evaluation of forecasting models for accuracy of inflation in developing countries: A case of Vietnam. Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society. 2015: Article ID 858157, 14 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/858157
- Nguyen NT and Tran TT (2016). Facilitating an advanced product layout to prioritize hot lots in 450 mm wafer foundry in the semiconductor industry. International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 3(6): 14-23.
- Nguyen NT and Tran TT (2017a). A novel integration of DEA, GM (1, 1) and neural network in strategic alliance for the Indian electricity organizations. The Journal of Grey System, 29(2): 80-102.
- Nguyen NT and Tran TT (2017b). Optimizing mathematical parameters of Grey system theory: an empirical forecasting case of Vietnamese tourism. Neural Computing and Applications: 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00521-017-3058-9
- Nguyen NT, Tran TT, Wang CN, and Nguyen NT (2015). Optimization of strategic alliances by integrating DEA and grey model. Journal of Grey System, 27(1): 38-56.
- Tang QY and Feng MG (2007). DPS data processing system: Experimental design, statistical analysis and data mining. Science Press, Beijing, China.
- Wang CN, Nguyen NT, Tran TT, and Huong BB (2015). A Study of the strategic alliance for EMS industry: The application of a hybrid DEA and GM (1, 1) approach. The Scientific World Journal, 2015: Article ID 948793, 14 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/948793
- Wen KL and Huang YF (2004). The development of grey Verhulst toolbox and the analysis of population saturation state in Taiwan-Fukien. In the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, IEEE, The Hague, Netherlands, 6: 5007-5012. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSMC.2004.1400986
- Wu CC (2009). Higher education expansion and low-income students in Taiwan. International Journal of Educational Development, 29(4): 399-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijedudev.2009.01.006
- Yao G, Cheng YP, and Cheng CP (2009).The quality of life in Taiwan. Social Indicators Research, 92(2): 377-404. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-008-9353-1
- Zhang Y and Li M (2010). Grey system forecasting based on MATLAB and its example application. In the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Information Management and Engineering, IEEE, Chengdu, China: 48-52. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIME.2010.5477584