International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences
Int. j. adv. appl. sci.
Print ISSN: 2313-626X
Volume 4, Issue 9 (September 2017), Pages: 174-179
Title: A review on lean maintenance through various implementations of total productive maintenance models
Author(s): Tan Ching Ng 1, 2, *, T. X. Yang 1, Ming Chian Yew 1, Lip Huat Saw 1, Ming Kun Yew 3, Kah Pin Chen 1
1Department of Mechanical and Material Engineering, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Selangor, Malaysia
2Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia
3Department of Civil Engineering, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Selangor, Malaysia
Full Text - PDF XML
TPM is the main tool used to perform lean maintenance and studies have shown significant increase in business performance upon successful implementations. This paper mainly reviews the lean maintenance through effective implementations of TPM. This includes the background of lean maintenance, objective of TPM, benefits of implementing TPM, TPM models, implementation barriers and factors of success to overcome these barriers. Recommendations for improving the cost effectiveness for TPM implementations are also included in this paper.
© 2017 The Authors. Published by IASE.
This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Keywords: TPM, Lean maintenance, Business performance
Article History: Received 1 February 2017, Received in revised form 3 August 2017, Accepted 5 August 2017
Digital Object Identifier:
Ng TC, Yang TX, Yew MC, Saw LH, Yew MK, and Chen KP (2017). A review on lean maintenance through various implementations of total productive maintenance models. International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 4(9): 174-179
- Achanga P, Shehab E, Roy R, and Nelder G (2006). Critical success factors for lean implementation within SMEs. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 17(4): 460-471. https://doi.org/10.1108/17410380610662889
- Attri R, Grover S, and Dev N (2014). A graph theoretic approach to evaluate the intensity of barriers in the implementation of total productive maintenance (TPM). International Journal of Production Research, 52(10): 3032-3051. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2013.860250
- Attri R, Grover S, Dev N, and Kumar D (2013). Analysis of barriers of total productive maintenance (TPM). International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, 4(4): 365-377. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13198-012-0122-9
- Baglee D, Trimble R, and MacIntyre J (2007). Maintenance strategy development within SME's: The development of an integrated approach. In the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Las Vegas, USA: 1967-1976. https://doi.org/10.1115/DETC2007-35920
- Brah SA and Chong WK (2004). Relationship between total productive maintenance and performance. International Journal of Production Research, 42(12): 2383-2401. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540410001661418
- Brandt E and Tjärning A (2006). Changing from a reactive to a proactive maintenance culture: Implementation of OEE. M.Sc. Thesis, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden.
- Chlebus E, Helman J, Olejarczyk M, and Rosienkiewicz M (2015). A new approach on implementing TPM in a mine–A case study. Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, 15(4): 873-884. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acme.2015.07.002
- Cooke FL (2000). Implementing TPM in plant maintenance: Some organisational barriers. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 17(9): 1003-1016. https://doi.org/10.1108/02656710010378789
- Crute V, Ward Y, Brown S, and Graves A (2003). Implementing lean in aerospace—challenging the assumptions and understanding the challenges. Technovation, 23(12): 917-928. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(03)00081-6
- Czabke J, Hansen EN, and Doolen TL (2008). A multisite field study of lean thinking in US and German secondary wood products manufacturers. Forest Products Journal, 58(9): 77-85.
- Digalwar AK and Nayagam PV (2014). Implementation of total productive maintenance in manufacturing industries: A literature-based metadata analysis. IUP Journal of Operations Management, 13(1): 39-53.
- Gupta S, Tewari PC, and Sharma AK (2006). TPM concept and implementation approach. Available online at: www.maintenanceworld.com/Articles/sorabh/Research_Paper.pdf
- Harsej F and Yusof SM (2011). Continuous improvement through an integrated maintenance model. Contemporary Engineering Sciences, 4(8): 353-362.
- Jain A, Singh H, and Bhatti RS (2016). Implementation of maintenance management in a medium size industry for optimization of maintenance cost: A case study. IUP Journal of Operations Management, 15(1): 35-60.
- Kumar RS and Gopal RS (2014). Integrating six sigma culture and TPM framework to improve manufacturing performance in SMEs. Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 30(5): 745-765. https://doi.org/10.1002/qre.1525
- Nakajima S (1988). TPM: Introduction to total productive maintenance. Productivity Press Inc., Oxon, UK.
- Ohno T (1988). Toyota production system: Beyond large-scale production. CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA.
- Panneerselvam MK (2012). TPM implementation to invigorate manufacturing performance: An Indian industrial rubric. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 3(6): 1-10.
- Poduval PS and Pramod VR (2015). Interpretive structural modeling (ISM) and its application in analyzing factors inhibiting implementation of total productive maintenance (TPM). International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 32(3): 308-331. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJQRM-06-2013-0090
- Prabhuswamy MS, Ravikumar KP, and Nagesh P (2013). Implementation of Kaizen techniques in TPM. IUP Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 6(3): 38-54.
- Safi S and Mozar S (2004). From reactive maintenance to proactive preventive maintenance system. ICOMS, Sydney, 25: 1-8.
- Sivaram NM, Devadasan SR, and Murugesh R (2013). Conceptualisation for implementing total productive maintenance through the ISO 9001: 2008 standard-based quality management system. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 24(2): 33-46. https://doi.org/10.7166/24-2-494
- Venkatesh J (2007). An introduction to total productive maintenance (TPM). The Plant Maintenance Resource Center: 3-20. Available online at: www.plant-maintenance.com
- Wakjira W and Singh MAP (2012). Total productive maintenance: A case study in manufacturing industry. Global Journal of Researches in Engineering, 12(1): 25-32.
- Williamson RM (2000). TPM: An often misunderstood equipment improvement strategy. Maintenance Technology Magazine Online, 13(4): 48-50.
- Womack JP, Jones DT, and Roos D (1990). Machine that changed the world. Simon and Schuster, New York, USA.