International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences
Int. j. adv. appl. sci.
Print ISSN: 2313-626X
Volume 4, Issue 8 (August 2017), Pages: 37-42
Title: Isotropic surround suppression and Hough transform based target recognition from aerial images
Author(s): Hafiz Suliman Munawar *, Adnan Maqsood, Zartasha Mustansar
Research Centre for Modeling and Simulation, National University of Sciences and Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan
Full Text - PDF XML
In this paper a procedure for target recognition of linear shaped landmarks (bridges and runways) from optical imagery is proposed. This study has done to propose a method for efficient target recognition as there is a need to have surveillance measures for defense, trade and disaster management. Keeping this in view, in this study image segmentation is performed using canny edge detection technique. Edge maps with more texture environs are suppressed by means of introducing a way that can combat isotropic surround. The inhibitor should apply lesser weights on the edges in case of texture environs as compared to the edges having defined boundaries. An efficacious method of computation for calculations of the isotropic surround suppression is used that accelerates the proposed algorithm. Subsequently, Hough transform is used on edge image along with its suppressed energy to extract all possible lines. Finally, the target regions are segmented from surrounding regions by examining geometric information and the resemblance between target and its surroundings. A number of the existing methods have been viewed and explored; the final proposal is refined to match the current trends and needs. The results indicate that the new method is efficient and effective for extracting target in optical images acquired by Unmanned Air Vehicles and it improves target detection significantly.
© 2017 The Authors. Published by IASE.
This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Keywords: Isotropic surround suppression, Target recognition, Optical images, Bridge recognition, Runway recognition, Road recognition
Article History: Received 18 January 2017, Received in revised form 7 June 2017, Accepted 23 June 2017
Digital Object Identifier:
Munawar HS, Maqsood A, and Mustansar Z (2017). Isotropic surround suppression and Hough transform based target recognition from aerial images. International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 4(8): 37-42
- Abraham L and Sasikumar M (2014). Detection of bridges using different types of high resolution satellite images. International Journal on Recent Trends in Engineering and Technology, 10(2): 107-116.
- Abu-Jbara K, Alheadary W, Sundaramorthi G, and Claudel C (2015). A robust vision-based runway detection and tracking algorithm for automatic UAV landing. In the International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, IEEE, Denver, USA: 1148-1157. https://doi.org/10.1109/icuas.2015.7152407
- Abuthahir A, Arasi MM, Kumari KGE, Nagarajan P (2014). Airport runway detection based on adaboost algorithm. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electronics and Communication Engineering, 3(11): 1481-1485
- Ando S (2000). Image field categorization and edge/corner detection from gradient covariance. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 22(2): 179-190. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.825756
- Ballard DH (1981). Generalizing the Hough transform to detect arbitrary shapes. Pattern Recognition, 13(2): 111-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-3203(81)90009-1
- Canny J (1986). A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence, 8(6): 679-698. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1986.4767851 PMid:21869365
- Chaudhuri D and Samal A (2008). An automatic bridge detection technique for multispectral images. IEEE transactions on geoscience and remote sensing, 46(9): 2720-2727. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2008.923631
- Grigorescu C, Petkov N, and Westenberg MA (2004). Contour and boundary detection improved by surround suppression of texture edges. Image and Vision Computing, 22(8): 609-622. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imavis.2003.12.004
- Guo S, Pridmore T, Kong Y, and Zhang X (2009). An improved Hough transform voting scheme utilizing surround suppression. Pattern Recognition Letters, 30(13): 1241-1252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2009.05.003
- Gupta P and Agrawal A (2007). Airport detection in high-resolution panchromatic satellite images. Journal of Institution of Engineers (India), 88(5): 3-9.
- Jones HE, Grieve KL, Wang W, and Sillito AM (2001). Surround suppression in primate V1. Journal of Neurophysiology, 86(4): 2011-2028. PMid:11600658
- Knierim JJ and Van Essen DC (1992). Neuronal responses to static texture patterns in area V1 of the alert macaque monkey. Journal of Neurophysiology, 67(4): 961-980. PMid:1588394
- Liu S, Sun G, Niu Z, and Chen Z (2013). Bridge recognition based on Gabor filter in forward-looking infrared images. In the 8th International Conference on Multispectral Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, International Society for Optics and Photonics, Wuhan, China: 891803-891803. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2031233
- Min L, Tang YD, and Shi ZL (2006). Segmentation and recognition of bridge over water based on Mumford-Shah model. Infrared and Laser Engineering, 35(4): 499-504.
- Otsu N (1979). A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 9(1): 62-66. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.1979.4310076
- Trias-Sanz R and Loménie N (2003). Automatic bridge detection in high-resolution satellite images. In the International Conference on Computer Vision Systems, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany: 172-181. https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-36592-3_17
- Wenguang W, Jinping S, Ru H, and Shiy M (2009). Knowledge-based bridge detection from SAR images. Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, 20(5): 929-936.
- Yan X, Shi C, Zhao BJ, and He PK (2007). Recognition of bridges over water in infrared iamge based on fractal theory and bac-kground knowledge mining. Systems Engineering and Electronics, 29(7): 1031-1033.
- Yuan XH, Jin LZ, Li JX, and Xia LZ (2003). Recognition of bridges over water through detecting and analyzing regions of interest. Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 22(5): 331-336.
- Yuan Zai-hua and Yang Shu-qian (1998). Automatic recognition and tracking techniques for infrared bridge image. Infrared and Laser Engineering, 27(1): 4-8.