International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences
Int. j. adv. appl. sci.
Print ISSN: 2313-626X
Volume 4, Issue 8 (August 2017), Pages: 149-153
Title: Dynamics and control of a novel buck-boost converter with low stresses on switches and diodes
Author(s): Farzin Asadi 1, *, Nurettin Abut 2, Ismet Kandilli 3
1Mechatronics Engineering Department, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
2Electrical Engineering Department, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
3Electronics and Automation Department, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
Full Text - PDF XML
This paper studies dynamics and control of a converter with advantages like: High step down gain, common ground between input and output terminal, positive output voltage and low voltage stress on switches and diodes. However, gate drive circuitry is more complex due to floatation of MOSFET sources. Converter’s small signal model is extracted using State Space Averaging (SSA). A controller is designed for the obtained model using MATLAB® control system toolbox. This paper shows that control of converter can be done using a simple I- type controller. This is another advantage for studied topology.
© 2017 The Authors. Published by IASE.
This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Keywords: Buck-boost converter, Low stress, Non-minimum phase, State space averaging
Article History: Received 17 January 2017, Received in revised form 16 May 2017, Accepted 17 June 2017
Digital Object Identifier:
Asadi F, Abut N, and Kandilli I (2017). Dynamics and control of a novel buck-boost converter with low stresses on switches and diodes. International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 4(8): 149-153
- Changchien SK, Liang TJ, Chen JF, and Yang LS (2010). Novel high step-up DC–DC converter for fuel cell energy conversion system. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 57(6): 2007-2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2026364
- Hren A and Slibar P (2005). Full order dynamic model of SEPIC converter. In the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Electronics, IEEE. Palo Alto, USA: 2: 553-558. https://doi.org/10.1109/ISIE.2005.1528977
- Hwu KI and Yau YT (2008). A novel voltage-bucking/boosting converter: KY buck-boost converter. In the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT'08), IEEE: 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIT.2008.4608692
- Hwu KI and Yau YT (2009). Two types of KY buck–boost converters. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 56(8): 2970-2980. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2023100
- Hwu KI, Chen YH, and Lin ZF (2009a). Negative-output KY buck-boost converter. In the 4th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA'09), IEEE, Xi'an, China: 3347-3350. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIEA.2009.5138823
- Hwu KI, Lin ZF, and Chen YH (2009b). A novel negative-output KY buck-boost converter. In International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS'09), IEEE: 1158-1162. https://doi.org/10.1109/PEDS.2009.5385717
- Ismail, EH, Al-Saffar MA, Sabzali AJ, and Fardoun AA (2008). A family of single-switch PWM converters with high step-up conversion ratio. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, 55(4): 1159-1171. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2008.916427
- Kislovski AS, Redl R, and Sokal NO (1991). Dynamic analysis of switching-mode DC/DC converters. Design Automation Inc., Lexington, USA. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-011-7849-5
- Liao HK, Liang TJ, Yang LS, and Chen JF (2012). Non-inverting buck–boost converter with interleaved technique for fuel-cell system. IET Power Electronics, 5(8): 1379-1388. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2011.0102
- Liu WS, Chen JF, Liang TJ, Lin RL, and Liu CH (2010). Analysis, design, and control of bidirectional cascoded configuration for a fuel cell hybrid power system. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 25(6): 1565-1575. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2037003
- Luo FL and Ye H (2004). Positive output multiple-lift push-pull switched-capacitor Luo-converters. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 51(3): 594-602. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.825344
- Maksimovic D and Cuk S (1991). Switching converters with wide DC conversion range. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 6(1): 151-157. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.65013
- Miao S, Wang F, and Ma X (2016). A novel buck-boost converter with low stresses on switches and diodes. In the IEEE 8th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, IEEE, Hefei, China: 3344-3347. https://doi.org/10.1109/IPEMC.2016.7512831
- Middlebrook RD and Cuk S (1977). A general unified approach to modeling switching-converter power stages. International Journal of Electronics Theoretical and Experimental, 42(6): 521-550. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217708900678
- Mohan N and Undeland TM (2007). Power electronics: Converters, applications, and design. John Wiley & Sons, New York, USA.
- Ren X, Tang Z, Ruan X, Wei J, and Hua G (2008). Four switch buck-boost converter for telecom DC-DC power supply applications. In the 23rd Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC'08), IEEE: 1527-1530. https://doi.org/10.1109/APEC.2008.4522927
- Sahu B and Rincón-Mora GA (2004). A low voltage, dynamic, noninverting, synchronous buck-boost converter for portable applications. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 19(2): 443-452. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.823196
- Wu TF and Chen YK (1998). Modeling PWM DC/DC converters out of basic converter units. IEEE transactions on Power Electronics, 13(5): 870-881. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.712294
- Zhu M & Luo FL (2007a). Development of voltage lift technique on double-output transformerless DC-DC converter. In the 33rd Annual Conference of Industrial Electronics Society (IECON'07), IEEE, Taipei, Taiwan: 1983-1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/IECON.2007.4460172
- Zhu M and Luo FL (2007b). Implementing of developed voltage lift technique on SEPIC, Cuk and double-output DC-DC converters. In the 2nd IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA'07). IEEE, Harbin, China: 674-681. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIEA.2007.4318492