International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences
Int. j. adv. appl. sci.
Print ISSN: 2313-626X
Volume 4, Issue 8 (August 2017), Pages: 56-67
Title: Market sensing, innovation capability and market performance: The moderating role of internal information dissemination
Author(s): Abubaker Mohamed Ahmed 1, *, Siddig Balal Ibrahim 1, Abdel Hafiez Ali Hasaballah 2
1Department of Business Administration, College of Business Studies, Sudan University of Science and Technology, Khartoum, Sudan
2Department of Business Administration, College of Business and Economics, Qassim University, Buraydah, Saudi Arabia
Full Text - PDF XML
Market sensing and internal information dissemination are popular concepts in the field of marketing and strategic management. Scholars in these fields are appreciating the roles of market sensing and internal information dissemination in understanding the business environmental changes to sustain competitive advantages for better firm performance. However, the interaction of market sensing and internal information dissemination couched within complementarity prospective to some extend has not been empirically tested. Therefore, This study aims to investigate the moderating effect of internal information dissemination in the exchange between market sensing and innovation and how innovation mediate the relationship between market sensing and market performance. As a result of responses from 166 firms operating in Sudan, we find that internal information dissemination strengthens the positive relationship between response of market sensing and innovation. Also innovation was found to partially mediate the relationship between market sensing and market performance. The study further develops the understanding of how market sensing influence innovation and market performance indicating the positive relationship between them. In addition our work provides managerial advices to the firms in Sudan to develop market sensing as an adaptive tool for innovation and performance.
© 2017 The Authors. Published by IASE.
This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Keywords: Internal information dissemination, Market sensing, Innovation, Market performance
Article History: Received 4 March 2017, Received in revised form 8 July 2017, Accepted 10 July 2017
Digital Object Identifier:
Ahmed AM, Ibrahim SB, and Hasaballah AHA (2017). Market sensing, innovation capability and market performance: The moderating role of internal information dissemination. International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 4(8): 56-67
- Ardyan E (2016). Market sensing capability and smes performance: The mediating role of product innovativeness success. Business and Economics Review, 25(2): 79-97.
- Bailey CJ (2014). Competing in low-income markets using dynamic and adaptive market sensing capabilities. Gordon Institute of Business Science, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Barney JB (2014). Howmarketing scholars might help address issues in resource-based theory. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 42(1): 24-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-013-0351-8
- Chen H, Li Y, and Liu Y (2015). Dual capabilities and organizational learning in new product market performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 46: 204-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2015.02.031
- Chen KH, Wang CH, Huang SZ, and Shen GC (2016). Service innovation and new product performance: The influence of market-linking capabilities and market turbulence. International Journal of Production Economics, 172: 54-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2015.11.004
- Chen YC, Li PC, and Evans KR (2012). Effects of interaction and entrepreneurial orientation on organizational performance: Insights into market driven and market driving. Industrial Marketing Management, 41(6): 1019-1034. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2012.01.017
- Choo CW (2001). Environmental scanning as information seeking and organizational learning. Information Research, 7(1): 1-37.
- Chow CWC, Lai JY, and Loi R (2015). Motivation of travel agents' customer service behavior and organizational citizenship behavior: The role of leader-member exchange and internal marketing orientation. Tourism Management, 48: 362-369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2014.12.008
- Colville I and Pye A (2010). A sensemaking perspective on network pictures. Industrial Marketing Management, 39(3): 372-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2009.03.012
- Day GS (1994). The capabilities of market-driven organizations. Journal of Marketing, 58(4): 37-52. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251915
- Day GS (2002). Managing the market learning process. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 17(4): 240–252. https://doi.org/10.1108/08858620210431651
- Day GS (2011). Closing the marketing capabilities gap. Journal of Marketing, 75(4): 183-195. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.75.4.183
- Diaz-Fernandez M, Bornay-Barrachina M, and Lopez-Cabrales A (2015). Innovation and firm performance: the role of human resource management practices. Evidence-based HRM: a Global Forum for Empirical Scholarship, 3(1): 64-80. https://doi.org/10.1108/ebhrm-10-2012-0012
- Dibrell C, Craig JB, and Hansen EN (2011). How managerial attitudes toward the natural environment affect market orientation and innovation. Journal of Business Research, 64(4): 401–407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2010.09.013
- Everett RF (2014). A crack in the foundation: Why SWOT might be less than effective in market sensing analysis. Journal of Marketing and Management, Special Issue, 1(1): 58-78.
- Fang SR, Chang E, Ou CC, and Chou CH (2014). Internal market orientation, market capabilities and learning orientation. European Journal of Marketing, 48(1/2): 170-192. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-06-2010-0353
- Foley A and Fahy J (2004). Towards a further understanding of the development of market orientation in the firm: a conceptual framework based on the market-sensing capability. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 12(4): 219-230. https://doi.org/10.1080/0965254042000308048
- Giniuniene J and Jurksiene L (2015). Dynamic capabilities, innovation and organizational learning: Interrelations and impact on firm performance. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 213: 985-991. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.11.515
- Gounaris SP (2006). Internal-market orientation and its measurement. Journal of Business Research, 59(4): 432-448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2005.10.003
- Grinstein A (2008). The effect of market orientation and its components on innovation consequences: A meta-analysis. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 36(2): 166–173. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-007-0053-1
- Grønholdt L and Martensen A (2006). Key marketing performance measures. The Marketing Review, 6(3): 243-252. https://doi.org/10.1362/146934706778605287
- Hair JF, Anderson RE, Babin BJ, and Black WC (2010). Multivariate data analysis: A global perspective. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, USA.
- Hao Q, Kasper H, and Muehlbacher J (2012). How does organizational structure influence performance through learning and innovation in Austria and China. Chinese Management Studies, 6(1): 36-52. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506141211213717
- Hou JJ (2008). Toward a research model of market orientation and dynamic capabilities. Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal, 36(9): 1251-1268. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2008.36.9.1251
- Huber GP (1991). Organizational learning: contributing processes and the literatures. Organizational Science, 2(1): 88-115. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.88
- Hult GTM and Ketchen DJ (2001). Does market orientation matter?: A test of the relationship between positional advantage and performance. Strategic Management Journal, 22(9): 899-906. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.197
- Ivanova M and Torkkeli L (2013). Managerial sensemaking of interaction within business relationships: A cultural perspective. European Management Journal, 31(6): 717-727. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2013.07.007
- Jaworski B and Kohli AK (1993). Market orientation: Antecedents and consequences. Journal of Marketing, 57(3): 53-70. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251854
- Johnston RE (2003). The Power of strategy innovation. AMACOM, New York, USA.
- Kjærgaard A and Vendelø MT (2015). The role of theory adaptation in the making of a reference discipline. Information and Organization, 25(3): 137-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infoandorg.2015.04.002
- Kohli AK and Jaworski BJ (1990). Market orientation: The construct, research propositions, and managerial implications. Journal of Marketing, 54(2): 1-18. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251866
- Lankinen J, Rökman M, and Tuominen P (2007). Market-sensing capability and market orientation in the food industry: empirical evidence from Finland. In the 19th Nordic Academy of Management Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
- Leonidou LC, Leonidou CN, Fotiadis TA, and Zeriti A (2013). Resources and capabilities as drivers of hotel environmental marketing strategy: Implications for competitive advantage and performance. Tourism Management, 35: 94-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2012.06.003
- Li X and Mitchell R (2009). The pace and stability of small enterprise innovation in highly dynamic economies: A china-based template. Journal of Small Business Management, 47(3): 370–397.
- Lin JH and Wang MY (2015). Complementary assets, appropriability, and patent commercialization: Market sensing capability as a moderator. Asia Pacific Management Review, 20(3): 141-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmrv.2014.12.013
- Lindblom A, Olkkonen R, Mitronen L, and Kajalo S (2008). Market-sensing capability and business performance of retail entrepreneurs. Contemporary Management Research, 4(3): 219-236. https://doi.org/10.7903/cmr.1042
- Lings I, Wilden R, and Gudergan S (2009). The effects of sensing and seizing of market opportunities and reconfiguring activities on the organisational resource base. In the Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Melbourne, Australia: 1-10. Available online at: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/29709/1/29709.pdf
- Lings IN and Greenley GE (2010). Internal market orientation and market-oriented behaviours. Journal of Service Management, 21(3): 321-343. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564231011050788
- Moorman C (1995). Organizational market information processes: Cultural antecedents and new product outcomes. Journal of Marketing Research, 32(3): 318-335. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151984
- Mu J (2015). Marketing capability, organizational adaptation and new product development performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 49: 151-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2015.05.003
- Najafi-Tavani S, Sharifi H, and Najafi-Tavani Z (2016). Market orientation, marketing capability, and new product performance: The moderating role of absorptive capacity. Journal of Business Research, 69(11): 5059-5064. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.04.080
- Nguyen B, Yu X, Melewar TC, and Gupta S (2016). Critical brand innovation factors (CBIF): Understanding innovation and market performance in the Chinese high-tech service industry. Journal of Business Research, 69(7): 2471-2479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.02.016
- Panayides P (2006). Enhancing innovation capability through relationship management and implications for performance. European Journal of Innovation Management, 9(4): 466-483. https://doi.org/10.1108/14601060610707876
- Park HS, Auh S, Maher AA, and Singhapakdi A (2011). Marketing's accountability and internal legitimacy: Implications for firm performance. Journal of Business Research, 65(11): 1576-1582. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.02.042
- Rodrigues AP and Pinho JC (2012). The impact of internal and external market orientation on performance in local public organisations. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 30(3): 284-306. https://doi.org/10.1108/02634501211226276
- Rosenbusch N, Brinckmann J, and Bausch A (2011). Is innovation always beneficial? A meta-analysis of the relationship between innovation and performance in smes. Journal of Business Venturing, 26(4): 441–457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2009.12.002
- Rubio A and Marin L (2015). Innovation Management to market performance: The effect of consumer identification in the evaluation of brand extensions. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 181: 269-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.04.888
- Ruizalba JL, Bermúdez-González G, Rodríguez-Molina MA, and Blanca MJ (2014). Internal market orientation: An empirical research in hotel sector. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 38: 11-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2013.12.002
- Sekaran U (1992). Research methods for business: askill bulding approach. John Wily and Sons, New Jersey, USA.
- Sharifi S and Zhang M (2009). Sense-making and recipes: Examples from selected small firms. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 15(6): 555-570. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552550910995434
- Slater S and Narver J (1995). Market orientation and the learning organization. Journal of Marketing, 59(3): 63-74. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252120
- Sok P, O'Cass A, and Sok KM (2013). Achieving superior SME performance: Overarching role of marketing, innovation, and learning capabilities. Australasian Marketing Journal, 21(3): 161-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ausmj.2013.04.001
- Song J, Wei YS, and Wang R (2015). Market orientation and innovation performance: The moderating roles of firm ownership structures. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 32(3): 319-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2015.03.005
- Sund KJ (2013). Scanning, perceived uncertainty, and the interpretation of trends: A study of hotel directors' interpretation of demographic change. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 33: 294-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2012.09.005
- Teece DJ (2007). Explicating dynamic capabilities: the nature and microfoundations of (sustainable) enterprise performance. Strategic Management Journal, 28(13): 1319–1350. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.640
- Teece DJ, Pisano G, and Shuen A (1997). Dynamic capabilities and strategic management. Strategic Management Journal, 18(7): 509-533. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Thomas JB, Clark SM, and Gioia DA (1993). Strategic sensemaking and organizational performance: Linkges among scanning, interpretation, action. Academy of Management Journal, 36(2): 239-270. https://doi.org/10.2307/256522 PMid:10125120
- Toit AD (2007). Making sense through coaching. Journal of Management Development, 26(3): 282-291. https://doi.org/10.1108/02621710710732164
- Tutar H, Nart S, and Bingöl D (2015). The effects of strategic orientations on innovation capabilities and market performance: The case of ASEM. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 207: 709–719. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.10.144
- Wang CL and Chung HF (2013). The moderating role of managerial ties in market orientation and innovation: An Asian perspective. Journal of Business Research, 66(12): 2431-2437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.05.031
- Wang G, Dou W, Zhu W, and Zhou N (2015). The effects of firm capabilities on external collaboration and performance: The moderating role of market turbulence. Journal of Business Research, 68(9): 1928 1936. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.01.002
- Wei YS and Atuahene-Gima K (2009). The moderating role of reward systems in the relationship between market orientation and new product performance in China. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 26(2): 89–96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2008.11.001
- Wei YS and Wang Q (2011). Making sense of a market information system for superior performance: The roles of organizational responsiveness and innovation strategy. Industrial Marketing Management, 40(2): 267-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2010.06.039
- Weick KE (1995). Sensemaking in organization. SAGE Publication, California, USA.
- Yu BT and To WM (2013). The effect of internal information generation and dissemination on casino employee work related behaviors. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 33: 475-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2012.11.007