Volume 8, Issue 11 (November 2021), Pages: 79-86
Original Research Paper
Title: Assessment of occupational risks: New approaches, improvement, and methodology
Author(s): Oleksiy I. Polukarov *, Nataliia A. Prakhovnik, Yury O. Polukarov, Liudmyla O. Mitiuk, Hlib V. Demchuk
Department of Labor Protection, Industrial and Civil Safety, National Technical University of Ukraine “Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”, Kyiv, Ukraine
Full Text - PDF XML
* Corresponding Author.
Corresponding author's ORCID profile: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4260-0330
Digital Object Identifier:
This study raises the issues of occupational risks and the new approaches to their assessment, improving research methods in this direction. The relevance of the stated subject is due to a wide variety of situations that arise in modern industries and have a high degree of risk for employees of enterprises. The purpose of this study is to determine new approaches to occupational risk assessment, as well as to study various aspects of improving production activities in the context of using new methods for assessing the degree of risks. The leading scientific method is a combination of analytical and logical approaches to the set of issues brought into the topic of this study. The main results of this study: identification of new, effective methods for assessing the degree of risks of occupational injuries and estimation of the level of occupational injuries at Ukrainian enterprises in 2020 and several previous years. Prospects for further study in this direction introduce methods for assessing the real level of occupational risks in the production sphere, in order to reduce the total number of situations associated with risk for workers of modern industrial enterprises that arise in the process of conducting work activities. The applied value of this study lies in the possibility of the subsequent practical application of the obtained results, in order to form the basis for the safe implementation of professional activities by employees of enterprises and organizations operating in various spheres of the economy, industry, and production. Identification of various aspects of occupational risks assessment in various areas contributes to the elimination of such risks and prevents their occurrence in the future.
© 2021 The Authors. Published by IASE.
This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Keywords: Occupational risks, Industrial activity, Potential threats, Industrial risk, Safety, Accident
Article History: Received 10 June 2021, Received in revised form 28 August 2021, Accepted 31 August 2021
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest: The author(s) declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.
Polukarov OI, Prakhovnik NA, and Polukarov YO et al. (2021). Assessment of occupational risks: New approaches, improvement, and methodology. International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 8(11): 79-86
Permanent Link to this page
Fig. 1 Fig. 2
- Ahmad M, Akram W, Ikram M, Shah MAA, Rehman A, Jabeen G, and Chandio AA (2021). Estimating dynamic interactive linkages among urban agglomeration, economic performance, carbon emissions, and health expenditures across developmental disparities. Sustainable Production and Consumption, 26: 239–255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2020.10.006 [Google Scholar]
- Bakiko E, Serdyuk V, Yanchij S, Ignatovich I, and Bardina E (2020). The labour protection specialist competence influence on the professional risk management state. In the E3S Web of Conferences, EDP Sciences, 178: 01087. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202017801087 [Google Scholar]
- Bulanova AV, Pushhenko SL, and Staseva EV (2019). The value of the assessment of occupational risks in the system of occupational safety management. Safety of Technogenic and Natural Systems, 1: 2–7. https://doi.org/10.23947/2541-9129-2019-1-2-7 [Google Scholar]
- Chernyshenko OV and Zanina IA (2017). Special assessment of working conditions and assessment of professional risk in the occupational safety management system. Concept, 7: 11–14. [Google Scholar]
- Chitaka TY, Blottnitz H, and Cohen B (2018). The role of decision support frameworks in industrial policy development: A South African iron and steel scrap case study. Sustainable Production and Consumption, 13: 113-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2017.11.004 [Google Scholar]
- Dautbayeva-Mukhtarova E, Askarova AO, and Suleymenova SZ (2013). Civil law regulation of the right to life and right to health in the field of chemical safety of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Middle East Journal of Scientific Research, 14(4): 502–507. [Google Scholar]
- Deng F, Li Y, Lin H, Miao J, and Liang X (2020). A BWM-TOPSIS hazardous waste inventory safety risk evaluation. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(16): 5765. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17165765 [Google Scholar] PMid:32784982 PMCid:PMC7460396
- Fentsyk OM (2018). Formation of professional competence of the future head of establishment of general secondary education: Communicative aspect. Bulletin of Mukachevo State University: Series “Pedagogy and Psychology”, 2(8): 200–203. https://doi.org/10.31339/2413-3329-2018-2(8)-200-203 [Google Scholar]
- He Y, Payne SC, Yao X, and Smallman R (2020). Improving workplace safety by thinking about what might have been: A first look at the role of counterfactual thinking. Journal of Safety Research, 72: 153–164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2019.12.010 [Google Scholar] PMid:32199558
- Klimova EV, Semeykin AY, and Nosatova EA (2018). Improvement of processes of professional risk assessment and management in occupational health and safety system. In the IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, IOP Publishing, 451: 012198. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/451/1/012198 [Google Scholar]
- Kruzhilko O, Maystrenko V, Polukarov O, Kalinchyk VP, Shulha A, Vasyliev A, and Kondratov D (2020). Improvement of the approach to hazard identification and industrial risk management, taking into account the requirements of current legal and regulatory acts. Archives of Materials Science and Engineering, 105(2): 65-79. https://doi.org/10.5604/01.3001.0014.5763 [Google Scholar]
- Kucher LR and Zamrii OM (2020). The role of the competitive personality of the manager in management. Scientific Bulletin of Mukachevo State University: Series “Economy”, 1(13): 32–37. https://doi.org/10.31339/2313-8114-2020-1(13)-32-37 [Google Scholar]
- Lialiuk GM (2020). The psychological-pedagogical support of development of professional identity of the future social pedagogues in the process of preparation for tutealage-educational activity. Scientific Bulletin of Mukachevo State University: Series “Pedagogy and Psychology”, 1(11): 31–35. https://doi.org/10.31339/2413-3329-2020-1(11)-31-34 [Google Scholar]
- Liba OM, Liba NS, and Konchovych KT (2019). Formation of professional competence of future economists [Науковий вісник Мукачівського державного університету]. Сер. Економіка, 1(11): 17-20. https://doi.org/10.31339/2313-8114-2019-1(11)-17-20 [Google Scholar]
- Lin HC, Guo JM, Ge P, and Ou P (2021). Association between prenatal exposure to ambient particulate matter and risk of hypospadias in offspring: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Environmental Research, 192: 110190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2020.110190 [Google Scholar] PMid:32919959
- Loktionov OA and Kondrateva OE (2020). Improving approaches to the analysis of injury rate at the industrial enterprises. Bezopasnost' Truda v Promyshlennosti, (11): 76–81. https://doi.org/10.24000/0409-2961-2020-11-76-81 [Google Scholar]
- Lutkovska S (2020). Identifications of environmental risks in the system environmental economic safety. Scientific Horizons, 3(88): 136–143. https://doi.org/10.33249/2663-2144-2020-88-3-136-143 [Google Scholar]
- Macpherson RA, Yousefi M, and McLeod CB (2021). Determining hazard management changes in workplaces following workplace safety inspections by WorkSafeBC in British Columbia, Canada. Safety Science, 140: 105298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2021.105298 [Google Scholar]
- Martinelli G, Vogel E, Decian M, Farinha MJUS, Bernardo LVM, Borges JAR, Gimenes RMT, Garcia RG, and Ruviaro CF (2020). Assessing the eco-efficiency of different poultry production systems: An approach using life cycle assessment and economic value added. Sustainable Production and Consumption, 24: 181–193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2020.07.007 [Google Scholar]
- Martyn OV (2018). Professional pedagogical education in European countries as an object of pedagogical research. Bulletin of Mukachevo State University: Series “Pedagogy and Psychology”, 2(8): 222–225. https://doi.org/10.31339/2413-3329-2018-2(8)-222-225 [Google Scholar]
- Montes GM, Gámez MDCR, Romero JCR, Mondelo PR, and Terres F (2007). Work risk‐prevention procedures in highway management and maintenance contracts. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing and Service Industries, 17(3): 229-244. https://doi.org/10.1002/hfm.20061 [Google Scholar]
- Polukarov O I, Prakhovnik N A, Polukarov YO, Kruzhilko OY, and Demchuk HV (2020). Stratification of expenses of insurance funds to cover risk situations of production process. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, 3: 137–144. https://doi.org/10.33271/nvngu/2020-3/137 [Google Scholar]
- Puhachevska KY, Homba AV, and Smochko VY (2020). Conceptual bases of corporate integrated structures formation. Scientific Bulletin of Mukachevo State University: Series “Economy”, 1(13): 108–112. https://doi.org/10.31339/2313-8114-2020-1(13)-108-113 [Google Scholar]
- Ricco M, Vezzosi L, and Mezzoiuso AG (2020). Occupational Eye Injuries in the agricultural settings: A retrospective study from North-Eastern Italy. Acta Bio-Medica: Atenei Parmensis, 90(4): 457–467. [Google Scholar]
- Shkrabak RV (2008). Characteristics, analysis and forecast of industrial injuries and effective ways to reduce it. Bulletin of the Krasnoyarsk State Agrarian University, 4: 255–262. [Google Scholar]
- Staseva EV and Filatova SV (2018). Definition of occupational risk based on a special assessment of working conditions. Young Don Researcher, 2(11): 81-85.
- Storozh Y, Kruzhilko O, Maystrenko V, and Polukarov O (2018). Information and analytical support improvement for production risk assessment in mining and processing industry. In: Toderas M, Nizametdinov F, and Makharadze L (Eds.), Resources and resource-saving technologies in mineral mining and processing: 16-37. Universitas Publishing, Montreal, Canada. [Google Scholar]
- Teplyakova NA and Turyanskaya EI (2018). Assessment of professional risks of builders based on indicators of the state of labor protection. Young Researcher of Don, 6(15): 62–66.
- Trushkova EA (2012). Study of the stages of the methodology for determining professional risk. Engineering Bulletin of the Don, 4: 68–72. [Google Scholar]
- Velykanova MM (2020). Distribution of risk of harm in delictual responsibility from the standpoint of economic analysis of law. Journal of the National Academy of Legal Sciences of Ukraine, 27(2): 119–130. https://doi.org/10.37635/jnalsu.27(2).2020.119-130 [Google Scholar]
- Wang HH and Boukamp F (2009). Ontology-based job hazard analysis support. International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering, Austin, USA: 676-685. https://doi.org/10.1061/41052(346)67 [Google Scholar]
- Wang S, Kalkhajeh YK, Qin Z, and Jiao W (2020). Spatial distribution and assessment of the human health risks of heavy metals in a retired petrochemical industrial area, South China. Environmental Research, 188: 109661. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2020.109661 [Google Scholar] PMid:32604003
- Zaburanna L, Shubenko I, and Godniuk I (2020). Real and gitopetical risks of the future accumulative level of pension insurance in Ukraine. Scientific Horizons, 8(93): 13–20. https://doi.org/10.33249/2663-2144-2020-93-8-13-20 [Google Scholar]