Volume 6, Issue 3 (March 2019), Pages: 23-26
Original Research Paper
Title: Derivation of simplified model governing behavior of Mindlin plate with elastic support traversed by partially distributed moving load
Author(s): Michael C. Agarana 1, 2, *, Esther T. Akinlabi 2, Olasunmbo O. Agboola 1
1Department of Mathematics, Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria
2Department of Mechanical Engineering Science, University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa
Full Text - PDF XML
* Corresponding Author.
Corresponding author's ORCID profile: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2100-8282
Digital Object Identifier:
The practical importance of dynamic response of elements of structures such as plates when load moves on them cannot be overemphasized in both engineering and applied sciences. The dynamic behavior of an elastic plate resting on a subgrade and traversed by uniform partially distributed moving load is considered in this paper and its simplified governing equations derived. The elastic plate is Mindlin rectangular plate. In particular, the model governing such moving load problem is simplified analytically. The simplified governing model derived is easier to handle. Numerical methods can easily be applied to this simplified model and a lot of computational time is saved.
© 2019 The Authors. Published by IASE.
This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Keywords: Mindlin plates, Simplified model, Moving load, Elastic support
Article History: Received 7 July 2018, Received in revised form 10 December 2018, Accepted 5 January 2019
This research was fully supported by Covenant University and University of Johannesburg. A special acknowledgment to Professor Gbadeyan, J.A. and Professor Akinlabi, E.T. for their constructive suggestions that improved this work during the development of this paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest: The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Agarana MC, Akinlabi ET, and Agboola OO (2019). Derivation of simplified model governing behavior of Mindlin plate with elastic support traversed by partially distributed moving load. International Journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 6(3): 23-26
Permanent Link to this page
- Agarana MC and Emetere M (2016). Solving non-linear damped driven simple pendulum with small amplitude using a semi analytical method. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 11(7): 4478-4484. [Google Scholar]
- Agarana MC and Gbadeyan JA (2016). A comparison of dynamic behaviours of mindlin, shear, rotatory and kirchoff plates supported by subgrade under moving load. Governing, 1(2): 3-13. [Google Scholar]
- Agarana MC, Gbadeyan JA, Agboola OO, Anake TA, and Adeleke OJ (2015). Dynamic response of an inclined railway bridge supported by Winkler foundation under a moving railway vehicle. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 9(11): 355-361. [Google Scholar]
- Agarana MC, Gbadeyan JA, and Ajayi OO (2016). Dynamic response of inclined isotropic elastic damped rectangular Mindlin plate resting on Pasternak foundation under a moving load. In the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, Hong Kong: 2: 1-6. [Google Scholar]
- Amiri JV, Nikkhoo A, Davoodi MR, and Hassanabadi ME (2013). Vibration analysis of a Mindlin elastic plate under a moving mass excitation by eigenfunction expansion method. Thin-Walled Structures, 62: 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2012.07.014 [Google Scholar]
- Boay CG (1993). Free vibration of rectangular isotropic plates with and without a concentrated mass. Computers and Structures, 48(3): 529-533. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(93)90331-7 [Google Scholar]
- Civalek O and Yavas A (2006). Large deflection static analysis of rectangular plates on two parameter elastic foundations. International Journal of Science and Technology, 1(1): 43-50. [Google Scholar]
- Fryba L (1972). Vibration of solids and structures under moving loads. Noordhoff International Publishing, Groningen, Netherlands. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-011-9685-7 [Google Scholar]
- Gbadeyan JA and Agarana MC (2014). Dynamic analysis of railway bridges supported by a Winkler foundation under uniform partially distributed moving railway vehicles. WIT Transactions on the Built Environment, 135: 873-883. https://doi.org/10.2495/CR140731 [Google Scholar]
- Gbadeyan JA and Dada MS (2001). The dynamic response of plates on Pasternak foundation to distributed moving load. Journal of the Nigerian Association of Mathematical Physics, 5: 185-200. [Google Scholar]
- Gbadeyan JA and Dada MS (2006). Dynamic response of a Mindlin elastic rectangular plate under a distributed moving mass. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 48(3): 323-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2005.09.005 [Google Scholar]
- Kerr AD (1964). Elastic and viscoelastic foundation models. Journal of Applied Mechanics, 31(3): 491-498. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3629667 [Google Scholar]
- Mindlin RD (1951). Influence of rotatory inertia and shear on flexural motions of isotropic, elastic plates. Journal of Applied Mechanics, 18(14): 31-38. [Google Scholar]
- Nguyen-Thoi T, Luong-Van H, Phung-Van P, Rabczuk T, and Tran-Trung D (2013). Dynamic responses of composite plates on the Pasternak foundation subjected to a moving mass by a cell-based smoothed discrete shear gap (CS-FEM-DSG3) method. International Journal of Composite Materials, 3(6A): 19-27. [Google Scholar]